One of Outlook 2007′s new features is going to be the ability to read RSS within the email client itself. This free add-in however enables you to do the same thing with current versions of Outlook.
I think it’s kind of ironic that I first felt RSS was meant to replace email subscriptions, and now it’s come full circle and I’m reading my feeds in Outlook.
Not that I’m complaining mind you. I still reap all the benefits of RSS like :
- Subscribing for content significantly faster than email. Most feeds require one or two clicks.
- No signups required means no risk of spam when you subscribe.
And I get to make use of Outlook rules to:
- Consolidate my feeds
- Flag them for later reading
- Filter out read items and mark as read/unread
- Store all stories in the feed throughout the day (Never miss a front page story on Digg again)
Anyhow, I really believe the native integration of RSS within Outlook will finally give it enough of a push for it to be a mainstream method of content distribution.
Basic key functionality like importing and exporting OPML make trying RSS Popper an effortless free experience.Google+